1963- The Lions Club of Omemee built a curling club next to the skating rink. Pictured is the construction of the club from a building purchased in Fenelon Falls. It was built in the gravel parking lot next to James Street.
The first rocks of the Omemee Curling Club were delivered in 1957 on the ice of the old Omemee skating rink, which originally stood on what is now the parking lot of Lady Eaton Elementary School. Six sheets of ice were used in the rink with men’s and mixed teams competing once a week.
In 1962, the Lions Club built a structure next to the old skating rink. The structure housed 2 sheets of ice and a small seating area for viewing downstairs as well as a small lounge, kitchen and bar upstairs. The Curling Club then comprised men’s, women’s, mixed and high school curling leagues. The Club functioned strongly, hosting numerous bonspiels and events. That all came to an abrupt end in 1977, when fire destroyed the Club.
Through the dedication of many hard working volunteers, a large donation from the Omemee Lions Club and a successful application for a Wintario Grant, funds were raised to build a new facility. Lifetime memberships were sold to assist in the fundraising and the names of these members were engraved on the plaque at the entrance to the Club.
The new club was built in 1980 on the current site through a land trade with the school board. Stones and ice making equipment were purchased from the Strathroy Curling Club. The first stones in the new club were delivered at the official opening in 1981.
In 2000, the Club received $24,000 from the Ontario Trillium Foundation for improvements in ice making equipment and new curling brooms. Again, in 2006, we received approximately $75,000 from the Ontario Trillium Foundation for upgrades in heating and air conditioning equipment in order to become more energy efficient.